http://pregnancyandparenting.blog.my Rotating Header Image

How much Rice Cereal should i feed my 4 month old baby?

13 Comments

1. Tina says:

We started once a day – just a few spoonfuls about 90 minutes before a bottle – pretty close to the 1/2 way point btw feedings. We continued this for about a week, then moved up to a second feeding for a few more weeks and then worked our way through the stage 1 veggies and fruits.

As to time of day, we went with the evening as mornings are tough for us as we are getting the kids up and out of the house for daycare. Some people also feel that the solids will help the little one sleep longer – our twins have always (knock on wood) been good sleepers so this was not a concern for us.

Best wishes!

2. dreamlover6094 says:

i feed my son cereal once a day for like a week then i did it twice a day. i gave him a bottle first then a little later i gave him a few spoons full of cereal. now hes 5 months old and i mix the cereal with stage 1 foods he loves it.

3. ILoveMySon says:

baby doesn’t need it so 1 tsp a month or 4 a day doesn’t matter
    she’ll push it out if you put the spoon there if she doesn’t want it

4. ghopper1977 says:

I started mine on cereal during the afternoon when i was fully awake and ready for the mess. I started mine on the cereal first and then gave him the bottle. Just once a day for the first several days. Then I switched it to the morning after the first bottle of the day. My son loved it.

5. Isis Grace says:

I didn’t start feeding my daughter rice cereal until she was 6 months old and then I would feed her a tiny but mixed with formula twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night. I gave her a bottle before feeding her the cereal, an hour later. Good luck!

6. newcreation7788 says:

My son is five months old now and we started him on cereal a month ago. Start out with about a tablespoon once a day then she is doing well, go to twice a day. I started feeding my son cereal twice a day after about a week. My son’s pediatrician said to give it to him before his bottle, but sometimes I wait too long and he is too hungry and I have to give him a couple of ounces of formula first. Oh, and I started giving it to him in the morning, but whatever works best for your schedule should be fine. I also tried oatmeal cereal and he does fine with that, but his doctor said not to give him anything with wheat in it (like barley). Good luck.

7. Katrina P says:

To start with you only need to give her like a couple of teaspoons of cereal, maybe once a day until you think she wants/needs more. Until at least 6 months or maybe 9 months you should give the bottle first then the food, the baby needs the milk more then the food at this age and food is just for fun to start with. Good luck.

8. kmounse says:

When I first started, I only gave my daughter rice cereal once a day. Your baby is only 4 months old, and believe it or not, she has a lot of time in the next few months to get used to the gradual increase of solids and varying textures. That being said, every child is different as far as how much solids they require and how big the serving should be each time. You’ll have to experiment a bit and see how much your daughter likes to eat.

To start, I’d offer her about a teaspoon, and if you want, you can give her a little more if you think she’ll want it (no guarantees there!). You’ll be able to tell if she’s done/full if she doesn’t want to open her mouth anymore, pushes the spoon away, or keeps getting distracted with other things. Once she shows signs that she’s done, over time, you’ll be able to see how much she normally eats by the time she signals she’s finished.

Keep in mind, too, that you’ll want to start with small amounts because your daughter is unfamiliar with the taste and texture of rice cereal. It might mess with her poop habits too, which is another reason not to give too much too soon.

As far as what time of day, I don’t think it makes a huge difference at this point, but if I were you, I would NOT introduce the cereal to her for a first or last meal of the day. When you eventually wean her completely to solids, it will be that first and last meal of breast or bottle that is most familiar and comforting to her. I also suggest breast or bottle before AND after first giving her the cereal so that she starts to associate cereal with mealtime/food.

Good luck and congratulations!

P.S. I’m mystified about the thumbs down, considering what I related here is based on personal experience. What the heck?! LOL.

9. Dan says:

In my opinion, 4 months is a little early to start rice cereal…more than a tiny bit, anyway. Stick with formula until 6 months, then try a little at a time.

10. Beth says:

I started my son on cereal at 4 months too. The first day, I did 4 tablespoons breast milk (you can also use formula), 1 tablespoon cereal. Use the same amount of milk but one more tablespoon of cereal each day until it’s 4 of milk and 4 of cereal.

He had cereal twice a day in the beginning in the place of milk (not before/after), and I nursed him for all other feedings. I fed him cereal once mid-morning and once in the early evening. As he grew and started eating other foods, I increased his non-milk meals to 4 a day and nursed all other meals.

11. Christine A says:

If he will tolerate it try to cereal first. I only feed my 5 month old cereal once a day and a jar of food in the afternoon because otherwise he won’t drink enough formula. It’s all on the baby really.

12. Star23 says:

your dr is wrong, get a new one. you shouldn’t start solids until 6 months.

13. My dr said 4 months to start cereal in a spoon. Once a day. If your Dr feels your baby is ready. Don’t let these people scare yoi. Listen to YOUR babies dr. :)